Friday, December 3, 2010

The first blog

I am very excited to write my first blog. I have been postponing it from very long time. I never found any reason to start. But recently I found a reason.

Recently I was on a vacation to my village. This was the first time I went to my village with my laptop. In past I always used to avoid carrying laptop with me while I am on vacation. I wanted to be just away from computers for few days. But this time I decided to carry a laptop. In my village I did not have any internet connection, so the laptop was kind of useless. So I decided to do something that can help me pass my time during the vacation. Then I thought to write something. Write what? a blog! yes.. I started thinking what to write in the blog. Then idea came to write some technical stuff. What kind of technical stuff? So many ideas came then finally decided to write something on C++ object model.

This reminded me of my college days. I had a hobby project of writing a OS kernel in C++. During that time I explored a lot about the C++ object model by reverse-engineering. I used to generate assembly code from C++ code then used to study the assembly to figure out how classes, inheritance, virtual functions etc are implemented.

But after long time I had forgotten most of the things. As my job keeps me busy writing code in C# only, I was out of touch in C++. But again the same process helped me. As I had the laptop with me. I started looking at the disassembled code and recollected most of the things that I explored during the college days.

Then I started writing. Initially I thought to write some blog-post only. But the content became too big to be fit for a blog post. So I decided to write as online book on some website.

By the time I had a rough-draft, my vacation was over. After the vacation, I spent some time to find a domain and then put my stuff there. Again, this is the first time I was making a website. Although I am not new to HTML but I am not good at making web-pages. I found some free web template from the internet and used that for my web site.

After this, it took me few more days to add my all stuff to HTML and post it to the website. I covered most of the topic of the C++ object model, but still few things are left. These are exception handling, run time type identification, object copy and copy constructor, pointer to member function. I will add these topics later.


Here is the link the book.

I guess this is enough for my first blog post.

No comments:

Post a Comment